Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Indian diaspora lesson



After over 5 years of customer loyalty to the Chinese costume jewelery store on Broadway, I discovered another treasure trove of bangles, necklaces and everything that can turn a bad day around. It's owned by an Indian and offers the comfort of a husband's waiting chair (see picture). When I visited the store for the first time I thought I would try to see whether they sold those traditional Indian earrings I bought in Mumbay. So I asked the guy at the counter. Shot the question. Pause. Much to my amazement the guy started pivoting his head from side-to-side. The Indian head-tilt!!
Now, in India the gesture in theory can mean yes, no, maybe, nice to meet you, I understand, I am listening, I agree, I disagree, you are an idiot, or anything in between. In practice when you ask for something at a store in India, no matter what you're asking for, you get it. They have it. In Incredible India everything is possible. True, the seller is a master at building up to suspenseful climaxes by tilting his head for those 10 seconds that leave you wondering about whether you will get your stuff or not, but at the end of the day the outcome is always a positive one. Ask for a can of depleted uranium, he will waggle his head, rake about down the counter and hand it over to you in cheap wrapping paper.
Coming back to my jewelery seller: head tilt, suspense, and NO, he doesn't have those earrings. Indian diaspora lesson number one: Incredible India stops in India.
I'm now eagerly waiting to see a "Honk ok please" sign on the back of a cab to disprove such sad conclusion of inferential logic.

1 comment:

Giovanni Stoto said...

Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!
Ma mica avevo realizzato fosse Ste!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Io mi comprerei una bella console ludica portatile mentre aspetto :-))))))))))