Friday, May 16, 2008

A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints

wstationF The Cardamom peeler’s wife has sent me a birthday card picturing Hanuman, the monkey deity worshipped as a symbol of physical strength, power and perseverance. I love it not only because it reminds me of the colors and the magic of India, but also because it brings back very special memories of the time the Cardamom peeler’s wife and I shared an office in Brussels, although it’s possible that I have distorted memories of her corkboard; did she hang images of hindu gods or George Clooney?

Now, the fact that Hanuman joined St. Rita of Cascia on the magnetic rack hung over my workstation raises some important questions: is this a blasphemy mix or I just set up a strong lobby with formidable power of positive influence on my life? In a multicultural society, would the avatar of Shiva and the patroness of impossible cases join forces? And by the way, now that I know that St. Rita is venerated as ‘la Santa de los impossibles’ who the hell gave me that little icon?

After careful consideration and deep spiritual meditation, I've come to the conclusion that since I received this hindu god card from an Indian catholic friend, there is no reason why Hanuman and St. Rita shouldn’t be working together across religious boundaries.

Here is my dream team.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I GAVE IT TO YOU!!!!
YOUR HUSBAND

Silvia said...

what did I smoke the day I married you?

Frida K said...

It was a toss up between two Ramayana personalities: Sita, the world's best doormat, aka the ideal wife, or Hanuman, the mischiveous but regal Monkey God, and somehow I figured the latter fit you better...

Is your next blog post going to be entitled, "Il gatto viene a casa"???

Silvia said...

yeah, it'll probably revolve around the theme "il gatto viene a casa and my husband leaves the house"...

Anonymous said...

I love this site! Thank you sooo much for all your posts!

Anonymous said...

I will not approve on it. I assume nice post. Expressly the title attracted me to review the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.