Thursday, October 18, 2007

The little differences


"You know what the funniest thing about Europe is?"

"What?"

"It's the little differences. A lotta the same shit we got here, they got there, but there they're a little different."

Pulp Fiction, Vincent and Jules

I arrived in NYC on September 16th. I didn't do much the first week except for my apt-hunting. Actually, I'm still not doing much except apt-hunting... Anyway, a couple of days later stef and I went to buy a book at duane reade on 42nd. In this simple act of walking to the store there was a combination of amazing and unique features that only someone who's spent her last 4 yrs in brussels can truly appreciate:

-it was 10.30 pm and shops were open;
-it was sept 20th, 10.30 pm and the temperature was about 25 degrees -celsius-;
-my outfit was barely one level up the pajama degree of decency and acceptability and no one was staring at me;
-streets were urine smell free;
-no 25 year old drunk layabouts with dogs receiving a 1000 EUR a month from national insurance begging outside the store;
-I got a 5 USD reward coupon from duane reade after one week of membership as opposed to collecting barely 300 points a year with delhaize or GB cards which would entitle you to get a used toothbrush in the best case scenario.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

S.,

Welcome to the blogosphere!!!

There are a few other lovely differences that you will find between living in America and living in Europe, the most important of which is the lower number of Europeans!

I eagerly await the next instalments of your New York diary.

O.B.

Frida K said...

Welcome - loved reading your blog and fumbling through the Italian sections too!!!! I totally agreed with your list and thought, what do I find so different...?

1. When I call my phone company here [AT&T who are no angels] customer service actually tries to help me sort out my problem, the one 'there' [Belgacom] tries to confuse the matter even more and if they are lucky, create a few new problems!

2. There is an abundant supply of "x", granted this probably plays into global warming, but it is part of the overall 'generous' sensibility of Americans - whether its easily giving you rolls of quarters, regardless of whether you purchase anything in the store or not, to giving out more than one sample of food, drinks, free shampoo etc. No one is hoarding here.

3. I can get fries and ketchup as a side, even as a main -- I just remember ultime atome, with their stupid policy that you could ONLY get frites as a side - with a main dish. So no frites on their own - even though they had frites up their a** in the kitchen!

4. People talk to you in line, at the bus stop, at the counter, chit chat, chit chat, it allows human connection on a daily basis- even if not very deep ...True, I'm being somewhat unfair to Belgium as I'm not counting the oh-so-attractive hissing on the streets by groups of unemployed young men, or the crazy madam at the bar who offered to get me clients and thus boost my income.

5. Dog pooh free streets...no more need be said!

You are now in my favourites S, so keep writing! Hugs from LA!

Giovanni Stoto said...

So weird to write in English 2 u S. (I won't disclose ur real name ;-P).

Luckly the issues u'r describing r related mainly 2 Belgium, although in Italy we have different ones :-)

BTW, u sent the link of this blog 2 my old email address, but don't worry: I sent u the correct one.

Hope 2 u soon on Skype. In the meantime I will put on one of my favourites: "New York satte of mind", by Bbilly Joel...

Cheers...